Brittney Griner ejected as Mercury lose second game in a row
CHICAGO — After eight consecutive wins, the Phoenix Mercury have lost twice in a row.
On Sunday, Chicago Sky guard Allie Quigley scored 20 points and hit a key basket late to help the Sky put away the Mercury 97-88.
Courtney Vandersloot grabbed the rebound off her own missed runner and passed out to Quigley, whose 3-pointer made it 94-82 with 52.3 seconds left.
Vandersloot finished with 14 points and 12 assists for Chicago (4-9), which ended a six-game slide.
Brittney Griner was ejected for a flagrant 2 with 2:50 left in the third quarter. The play was reviewed after Griner struck Stefanie Dolson with a left hand to the face and Dolson fell to the ground.
The ejection came during the middle of an 11-2 Chicago run that ended with a 69-60 lead late in the third. Phoenix cut the deficit to 71-67, but got no closer.
Griner managed 19 points and 10 boards before leaving the game and Diana Taurasi added 18.
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade
- Phoenix Mercury have the new big 3 to see, GM Pitman says
- Cardinals’ Keim, Mercury’s Pitman and more: Best of Newsmakers Week Day 5
- Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury agree to multi-year extension
- WNBA, players reach CBA deal that will boost average salary