Phoenix Mercury alone in first place with win over Mystics
WASHINGTON — Brittney Griner scored 24, DeWanna Bonner added 23 and the Phoenix Mercury stayed alone into first place with an 84-74 win over the Washington Mystics on Saturday night.
Yvonne Turner hit a 3-pointer at the end of the shot clock that made it 80-74 for the Mercury (13-5) with 36.6 seconds left and stopped a 10-3 Washington run. The Mystics (10-6) turned it over on their next possession and Diana Taurasi and Turner each added a pair of free throws to seal the victory.
Phoenix took the lead for good with a 9-0 run in the middle of the third quarter.
Turner finished with 12 points for the Mercury, who have won three straight.
Elena Delle Donne had 27 points and 13 rebounds for the Mystics. Washington had a four-game winning streak snapped.
- Diana Taurasi speaks, Booker and Nash attend Kobe Bryant memorial
- Phoenix Mercury sign C Kia Vaughn amid busy offseason
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade
- Phoenix Mercury have the new big 3 to see, GM Pitman says
- Cardinals’ Keim, Mercury’s Pitman and more: Best of Newsmakers Week Day 5