Suns, Wes Johnson hope to continue relationship
Oct 30, 2012, 10:03 PM | Updated: 11:08 pm
October 30, 2012: Johnson to become free agent after ’13-’14 option declined
It has been a three-month love affair between Wes Johnson, the Suns and the city of Phoenix since he was acquired this summer.
“I got a good vibe when I came here, especially the style of play,” he said. “The staff and everybody here—from the trainers to the strength coach to the coaches to the front office, everybody has a good family oriented style of how to carry themselves. Its rubbing off on me and I love that.”
The feeling is mutual.
The Suns, while informing Johnson they would not be picking up their 2013-2014 $5.4 million option on his contract, made it clear to the 25-year-old they see him as part of the team’s future.
“They want me back here, which is what the meeting (earlier this week) was about to just tell me that they love me,” he said referring to team president of basketball operations Lon Babby and general manager Lance Blanks.
“They like me a lot, which was good to hear; and then I told them I want to be here. Both of us have the same goals about me having a good season. I told them that I don’t want to go anywhere so I think we established that in the meeting.”
By declining the option, the Suns are allowing Johnson to become available to the other 29 NBA teams as an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Johnson, however, sees no reason to go anywhere else.
“Like I told them before in the meeting, I want to be here. It’s just as far as my family—they love it here,” he said. “Whatever happens, I told them in the meeting I want to be here so we’ll see what happens in July.”