Courtney Williams powers Connecticut Sun past Mercury
UNCASVILLE, Conn. — Courtney Williams had 25 points, including Connecticut’s final six, and tied her career high with 10 rebounds to help the Sun hold on for a 91-87 win over the Phoenix Mercury on Friday night.
Chiney Ogwumike fouled out with 22 points on 10-of-11 shooting and Alyssa Thomas added 11 points, a career-best 10 assists, eight rebounds and two steals for Connecticut (11-10). The Sun snapped a three-game skid.
The Mercury’s Angel Robinson made a layup to tie it at 85 with 2:30 minutes to play, but Thomas hit Williams for a driving layup and then made a pull-up jumper from the top of the key to give the Sun a four-point lead with 45.6 seconds remaining.
Brittney Griner answered with a layup six seconds later but neither team scored again until Williams hit two free throws with 0.6 seconds to play.
Diana Taurasi hit five 3-pointers and finished with 28 points, seven rebounds and six assists for Phoenix (14-8). Griner added 19 points, and DeWanna Bonner scored 16.
Both teams shot better than 51 percent from the field but Connecticut was plus-three on the offensive glass and forced 14 Phoenix turnovers while committing just seven.
- Diana Taurasi speaks, Booker and Nash attend Kobe Bryant memorial
- Phoenix Mercury sign C Kia Vaughn amid busy offseason
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade
- Phoenix Mercury have the new big 3 to see, GM Pitman says
- Cardinals’ Keim, Mercury’s Pitman and more: Best of Newsmakers Week Day 5