Northern Colorado whips Northern Arizona for first win
GREELEY, Colo. — Keaton Mott threw for three touchdowns and ran for another and short-handed Northern Colorado picked up its first win of the season 42-14 over Northern Arizona on Saturday.
The Bears (1-7, 1-4 Big Sky Conference), who suspended 12 players for unspecified reasons earlier in the week, also got touchdowns from its defense and special teams.
Joe Logan had two short touchdowns runs in the first half to give the Lumberjacks (3-4, 2-2), who were coming off a bye week following an upset of FCS Top 10 Weber State, a 14-12 lead at the half. Wide receiver Dontay Warren recovered his own fumble in the end zone and Aaron Harris recovered a blocked punt in the end zone but Northern Colorado failed on two-point conversations after each score.
The Bears dominated the second half, starting with a safety and ending with a 49-yard interception return by Sherand Boyd Jr. Mott scored on a 9-yard run, found Darren DeLaCroix for 19 yards and connected again with Warren.
Mott was 15 of 27 for 217 yards with Warren covering 107 on five receptions. Milo Hall rushed for 119 yards on 23 carries.
Northern Arizona had four turnovers.
- NAU removes interim label, names Shane Burcar men’s basketball coach
- DeBisschop’s double-double leads NAU to win over Northern Colorado
- Northern Arizona to honor 2019 Hall of Fame class
- Hines leads Northern Arizona over Sacramento State
- Arizona universities to address lack of women coaching women’s sports