D-backs celebrate 17th anniversary of World Series title
Seventeen years ago on Sunday, we witnessed likely the best moment in Arizona professional sports history.
Luis Gonzalez’s game-winning RBI single in the ninth inning of Game 7 of the World Series against the New York Yankees and Hall of Fame closer Mariano Rivera gave the D-backs their only championship in franchise history.
— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) November 4, 2018
Gonzalez and the 2001 D-backs will be remembered forever because of that moment and championship.
— Luis Gonzalez (@Luisgonzo20) November 4, 2018
Since then, though, the D-backs have had their fair share of struggles.
They’ve made the playoffs just four times and advanced to the National League Championship series just once.
An important offseason could shape the direction of the club for the next few years and determine whether the D-backs could make it back to the World Series.
- D-backs’ Lovullo: Too soon to know how to deploy ‘Marte Partay’
- D-backs have ‘7 or 8’ starting pitchers they can lean on, Lovullo says
- GM Hazen confident about ‘stronger’ D-backs team after Marte trade
- Starling Marte traded to D-backs; 2 prospects sent to Pirates
- Diamondbacks tickets for Mexico City series against Padres on sale