Lawrence scores career-high 22, ASU upsets No. 15 MSU
LAS VEGAS — Kimani Lawrence scored 22 points to lead Arizona State to a 72-67 victory over No. 15 Mississippi State on Monday night in the heavyweight bracket of the MGM Main Event.
Arizona State, which climbed as high as No. 3 after opening last season 12-0, improved to 4-0, while handing the Bulldogs their first loss of the season (3-1).
The Sun Devils held off a second-half rally by Mississippi State, which tied the game at 65 when Nick Weatherspoon drained a long-range jumper just inside the 3-point line with one minute left in the game.
But Lawrence answered with a 3-pointer with 33 seconds left, and the Sun Devils held on for the win.
Luguentz Dort added 17 points and nine rebounds, while Remy Martin scored 16 for the Sun Devils.
The Bulldogs were led by Aric Holman, who had 22 points and 10 rebounds.
The Sun Devils advance to the championship game on Wednesday at 9 p.m. against Utah State.
- CBS Sports: ASU’s Sun Bowl appearance should be a good game
- Florida State makes former ASU OC Mike Norvell new head coach
- FootballScoop: More candidates emerge for ASU football’s open OC job
- Sun Devils have 3 players featured on PFF’s 2019 All-Pac-12 first team
- ASU football DB Jack Jones named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week