Eaddy leads 4 in double figures, Santa Clara rallies to beat NAU
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Tahj Eaddy had 22 points, Trey Wertz scored 17 and Santa Clara, which trailed much of the game, rallied in the final seven minutes and then held on, defeating Northern Arizona 81-74 Saturday night.
Josip Vrankic also scored 17 for Santa Clara (3-5), and led with 14 rebounds. Josh Martin added a double-double with 12 points, 13 boards and seven assists.
Carlos Hines led the Lumberjacks (2-4) with 19 points, but 16 of those came in NAU’s first 18 points of the game. After halftime he was 1-of-7 shooting and scored on a 3-pointer.
The Lumberjacks still led by seven with nine minutes left in the game. Santa Clara held NAU scoreless for more than two minutes, catching up at 62-62 when Wertz drove for a floater. Martin followed with a 3.
Vrankic halted two NAU drives with defensive rebounds, saved a possession with an offensive rebound and blocked a third NAU drive in an intense 30-second span with less than two minutes to go, and Santa Clara was up 75-68 with 1:20 left.
- Avdalovic’s 24-point effort not enough as NAU falls to Montana State
- Jerrick Harding carries Weber State past Northern Arizona
- NAU basketball loses on last-second Idaho State tip-in
- Hines’ 22 points not enough as NAU falls to Montana
- NAU football hires former ASU assistant Chris Ball as new head coach