Eaddy leads 4 in double figures, Santa Clara rallies to beat NAU
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Tahj Eaddy had 22 points, Trey Wertz scored 17 and Santa Clara, which trailed much of the game, rallied in the final seven minutes and then held on, defeating Northern Arizona 81-74 Saturday night.
Josip Vrankic also scored 17 for Santa Clara (3-5), and led with 14 rebounds. Josh Martin added a double-double with 12 points, 13 boards and seven assists.
Carlos Hines led the Lumberjacks (2-4) with 19 points, but 16 of those came in NAU’s first 18 points of the game. After halftime he was 1-of-7 shooting and scored on a 3-pointer.
The Lumberjacks still led by seven with nine minutes left in the game. Santa Clara held NAU scoreless for more than two minutes, catching up at 62-62 when Wertz drove for a floater. Martin followed with a 3.
Vrankic halted two NAU drives with defensive rebounds, saved a possession with an offensive rebound and blocked a third NAU drive in an intense 30-second span with less than two minutes to go, and Santa Clara was up 75-68 with 1:20 left.
- NAU falls back to .500 after narrow loss to Idaho State
- Northern Arizona drops its Big Sky opener to Montana
- Northern Arizona football falls to Idaho in overtime on Senior Day
- Arizona Wildcats dominate NAU Lumberjacks in season opener
- NAU fails to hold onto lead in blowout loss to Eastern Washington