Grand Canyon basketball falls to UT Rio Grande Valley
PHOENIX — Tyson Smith scored 21 points, Terry Winn III added 15 and UT Rio Grande Valley held on to beat Grand Canyon 72-69 on Thursday night.
The Antelopes entered the night a share of first place with New Mexico State.
Jordan Jackson made 1-of-2 foul shots with 59 seconds left to give the Vaqueros (13-12, 5-4 Western Athletic Conference) a 67-64 lead. Carlos Johnson knotted it 14 seconds later with a 3-point play. Winn made a layup with 30 seconds left, and, after a GCU turnover, Smith added a pair of free throws to make it a four-point contest with 17 seconds to go
Damari Milstead reduced the deficit to 71-69 before the Antelopes immediately fouled Jackson to force him to the free throw line. Again he made 1 of 2 and the Lopes got the ball to Milstead who missed a 3 attempt as time expired.
Javon Levi scored 12 for UTRGV which had a 42-34 scoring advantage on the interior.
Milstead led GCU (14-8, 7-2) with 14 points, Carlos Johnson 13 and Michael Finke 10.
- Big first half powers Grand Canyon men’s basketball past Bethesda 98-47
- Asbjorn Midtgaard leads Grand Canyon MBB past Tarleton State
- Remy Martin’s big 2nd half helps Arizona State avoid upset to GCU
- Lever leads Grand Canyon past Grambling State in season opener
- GCU basketball announces 2020-21 schedule, to open in November