DeWanna Bonner, Brittney Griner lead Mercury over Storm
SEATTLE — DeWanna Bonner and Brittney Griner each scored 20 points to help the Phoenix Mercury beat Seattle 69-67 on Sunday, handing the Storm their first home loss of the season.
The Mercury (5-5) took the lead for good at 57-56 on Griner’s basket with 5:05 left in the game. That sparked a 10-0 run that ended at 65-56 on Bonner’s 3-pointer two minutes later.
The Storm (8-6) closed the deficit to 65-63 before the final minute, and Jordin Canada was fouled attempting a 3-pointer with 1.2 seconds left that gave her a chance to tie it at the foul line. But Canada missed the first attempt and the Mercury’s Leilani Mitchell secured the rebound after Canada intentionally missed the third one.
Sami Whitcomb had 13 points, Mercedes Russell and Alysha Clark added 12 each and Canada scored 10 for the Storm, who won their first five games at home.
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade
- Phoenix Mercury have the new big 3 to see, GM Pitman says
- Cardinals’ Keim, Mercury’s Pitman and more: Best of Newsmakers Week Day 5
- Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury agree to multi-year extension
- WNBA, players reach CBA deal that will boost average salary