DeWanna Bonner, Brittney Griner lead Mercury over Storm
SEATTLE — DeWanna Bonner and Brittney Griner each scored 20 points to help the Phoenix Mercury beat Seattle 69-67 on Sunday, handing the Storm their first home loss of the season.
The Mercury (5-5) took the lead for good at 57-56 on Griner’s basket with 5:05 left in the game. That sparked a 10-0 run that ended at 65-56 on Bonner’s 3-pointer two minutes later.
The Storm (8-6) closed the deficit to 65-63 before the final minute, and Jordin Canada was fouled attempting a 3-pointer with 1.2 seconds left that gave her a chance to tie it at the foul line. But Canada missed the first attempt and the Mercury’s Leilani Mitchell secured the rebound after Canada intentionally missed the third one.
Sami Whitcomb had 13 points, Mercedes Russell and Alysha Clark added 12 each and Canada scored 10 for the Storm, who won their first five games at home.
- Skylar Diggins-Smith’s game-tying 35-footer leads to Mercury OT win
- Phoenix Mercury’s winning streak broke in loss to Connecticut Sun
- Phoenix Mercury sign forward Alisia Jenkins for remainder of season
- Suns, Mercury to utilize Madhouse on McDowell as a voting center
- Phoenix Mercury G Bria Hartley out for season with torn ACL