Taurasi to make season debut after undergoing back surgery
PHOENIX—After missing the first 13 games of the season, Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi will make her season debut on the road Friday against the Connecticut Sun.
The WNBA all-time leading scorer underwent back surgery in April for a procedure on a disk protrusion to relieve pain and muscle weakness. She was expected to be out 10-12 weeks
During the 2018 season, she was named to the All-WNBA First Team after averaging 20.7 points, 5.3 assists and 3.5 rebounds per game.
Taurasi joins a Phoenix team that has won five of its last six games and is 7-6 on the season.
— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) July 12, 2019
Her return means the ‘Big Three’ with DeWanna Bonner and Brittney Griner is back in action. This group has scored 1,967 points in 2018, the most points by a trio of teammates in WNBA history.
With her start tonight, Taurasi is expected to make her home debut July 17 against the Dallas Wings.
- Diana Taurasi speaks, Booker and Nash attend Kobe Bryant memorial
- Phoenix Mercury sign C Kia Vaughn amid busy offseason
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade
- Phoenix Mercury have the new big 3 to see, GM Pitman says
- Cardinals’ Keim, Mercury’s Pitman and more: Best of Newsmakers Week Day 5