Taurasi to make season debut after undergoing back surgery
PHOENIX—After missing the first 13 games of the season, Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi will make her season debut on the road Friday against the Connecticut Sun.
The WNBA all-time leading scorer underwent back surgery in April for a procedure on a disk protrusion to relieve pain and muscle weakness. She was expected to be out 10-12 weeks
During the 2018 season, she was named to the All-WNBA First Team after averaging 20.7 points, 5.3 assists and 3.5 rebounds per game.
Taurasi joins a Phoenix team that has won five of its last six games and is 7-6 on the season.
— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) July 12, 2019
Her return means the ‘Big Three’ with DeWanna Bonner and Brittney Griner is back in action. This group has scored 1,967 points in 2018, the most points by a trio of teammates in WNBA history.
With her start tonight, Taurasi is expected to make her home debut July 17 against the Dallas Wings.
- Phoenix Mercury have the new big 3 to see, GM Pitman says
- Cardinals’ Keim, Mercury’s Pitman and more: Best of Newsmakers Week Day 5
- Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury agree to multi-year extension
- WNBA, players reach CBA deal that will boost average salary
- The top non-big-4 Arizona pro sports teams of the 2010s