Mercury’s Brittney Griner comes close to triple-double in victory
PHOENIX (AP) — Brittney Griner had 26 points, nine rebounds, a career-high eight assists and four blocks to help the Phoenix Mercury beat the Washington Mystics 103-82 on Sunday.
Leilani Mitchell made five 3-pointers and finished with 23 points, and Yvonne Turner, who hit 4 of 5 from behind the arc, added a career-high 22 points for Phoenix.
The Mystics (14-7) had their five-game win streak snapped.
Turner and Mitchell scored five points apiece during a 14-2 run that gave Phoenix a 60-41 lead late in the second quarter. Griner scored 23 points on 10-of-11 shooting in the first half.
In case you’re wondering, BG is still DOMINATING.
23 PTS on 10-11 shooting with 5 REBS & 5 ASTS… And it’s only half 😳 pic.twitter.com/AIFpKN8Lgb
— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) August 4, 2019
The Mercury (11-10) shot a season-high 58.2% from the field and had 28 assists on 39 field goals. They tied their season high with 12 3-pointers and made all 13 free-throw attempts.
Elena Delle Donne and Emma Meesseman scored 18 points apiece for the Mystics.
- Emma Meesseman, Elena Delle Donne lead Mystics to first WNBA title
- Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner named to All-WNBA First Team
- Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell named WNBA Most Improved Player
- Mercury’s Brianna Turner named to WNBA All-Rookie Team
- ‘Every day I walked in here to play’: Taurasi, Griner reflect on 2019 season