Phoenix Mercury drop fourth straight game in loss to Las Vegas Aces
PHOENIX (AP) — Liz Cambage had 21 points and A’ja Wilson scored eight of her 20 points in the final three-plus minutes to help the Las Vegas Aces beat the Phoenix Mercury 98-89 on Sunday, clinching the No. 4 seed in the playoffs.
Brittney Griner led Phoenix (15-19) with 24 points.
The Mercury have lost four in a row and finished with their lowest win total since going 7-27 in 2012.
Diana Taurasi, the WNBA’s career leader with 8,575 points, missed her second consecutive game for Phoenix with a hamstring injury. Taurasi, who had back surgery in late April, appeared in just six games this season but the Mercury are hopeful that she’ll be active for Wednesday’s game.
The Aces, who missed the playoffs each of the last four years earned a bye in Wednesday’s first round and will host a second-round game on Sept. 15.
Wilson hit a jumper to tie the game at 89 and spark an 11-0 closing run by Las Vegas (21-13) as the Mercury went 0 for 5 from the field and committed three turnovers over the final three minutes.
- Mercury fall to Sky, eliminated from WNBA playoffs
- Diana Taurasi doubtful as Mercury head to playoffs
- Mercury locked in at 8th seed of WNBA Playoffs after loss to Storm
- Mercury to honor women of inspiration with personalized shoes
- Phoenix Mercury drop final road game of the regular season in Chicago