Doug & Wolf power poll: 5 biggest questions for the Diamondbacks
Opening Day in baseball is a special one, and after rain spoiled part of the Yankees-Nationals primetime game Thursday and the only other involving the Los Angeles Dodgers’ steamrolling of the San Francisco Giants, the rest of Major League Baseball begins a shortened 2020 on Friday.
That includes the Arizona Diamondbacks, who begin their 60-game schedule against the San Diego Padres at 6:10 p.m., a game that will air on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station.
Doug & Wolf of Arizona Sports welcomed Dave Burns from Burns & Gambo Friday morning to hold a roundtable talk around the start of the season for Arizona. In an impromptu power poll, the four-man panel answered this question:
What are the five biggest questions you can’t wait to have answered to see if the D-backs can be a postseason team?
Doug Franz, co-host of Doug & Wolf
5. Will GM Mike Hazen make a move at the trade deadline considering the new playoff format?
4. Who will the team lose to coronavirus?
3. Is Ketel Marte going to improve on last season?
2. Who is the real Madison Bumgarner, especially on the road?
1. How does Robbie Ray do? He will dictate how the Diamondbacks do.
Ron Wolfley, co-host of Doug & Wolf
5. Health and depth. Who gets sick or hurt and who steps in?
4. How will Archie Bradley do as closer?
3. How does Robbie Ray do?
2. Will Ketel Marte be that MVP candidate that the D-backs need?
1. Is Madison Bumgarner a true ace for Arizona?
Dave Burns, co-host of Burns & Gambo
5. How does Archie Bradley do as closer?
4. Is this summer camp version of Robbie Ray the version we get all year?
3. How will the two Martes, Ketel and Starling, perform?
2. If starting pitching depth is the key, do the D-backs have an above-average No. 3 pitcher? Can Zac Gallen (or someone else) be that guy?
1. Can they maintain health and who might they lose?
Paul Calvisi, anchor of Doug & Wolf
5. Is Archie Bradley a one-pitch closer and he’s bad, or a three-pitch closer and he’s lights out?
4. Do the D-backs have a competitive DH option on the roster?
3. What’s the offensive production from first base?
2. What do they get out of corner outfielders Kole Calhoun and David Peralta?
1. Can Madison Bumgarner be the alpha male in the dugout?