Former ASU golfers Mickelson, Rahm and Casey share U.S. Open tee time
Arizona State golf fans might want to tip their caps to the U.S. Open Championship for grouping three former Sun Devil golfers together for the first two rounds of the event.
Phil Mickelson, Jon Rahm and Paul Casey will tee off at 10:27 a.m. MST on Thursday for the first round of the championship at Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck, N.Y.
The Sun Devil trio will tee off the second round Friday at 5:07 a.m. MST.
Two of the three Arizona State products have some momentum heading into the U.S. Open. Rahm (No. 2) and Casey (No. 19) are ranked top-20 players in the world.
Winged Foot hasn’t hosted the U.S. Open in 14 years, and back in 2006, Mickelson finished tied for second place behind winner Geoff Ogilvy — a double-bogey on the last hole sealed Mickelson’s fate.
This year, the field for the par-70 course is 144 players deep and will reduce to the lowest 60 scores and any tied players heading into the final two rounds Saturday and Sunday.
- Jon Rahm reveals reason for short backswing, has shot at history
- Report: Former ASU G Alonzo Verge commits to Nebraska
- The PGA Tour will no longer require COVID-19 testing after 50 official events
- ASU’s Jermayne Lole, Dohnovan West crack PFF’s All-American teams
- Kodaira, Hickok each shoot 63 to share Travelers lead