WAC releases updated basketball and fall sports schedules
The Western Athletic Conference, in which Grand Canyon University plays, released an altered basketball and fall sports schedule to align with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
The format minimizes travel and exposure to maximize safety within the league.
The schedule affects men’s and women’s basketball along with the conference schedule formats for men’s and women’s soccer, women’s volleyball and men’s and women’s cross country.
All games are anticipated to be held in the spring.
Basketball teams in the WAC will play back-to-back games against the same opponent at the same site. Each team will play eight total games: four at home and four away.
The conference portion of the basketball season will begin Jan. 7 and last for nine weeks.
The WAC basketball tournaments are set to take place on March 10-13 at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.
The WAC decided that it will not have a 2021 indoor track and field championship. The meet was scheduled simultaneously with the rescheduled cross country championship on Feb. 27 at Jefferson Park Golf Course in Seattle.
- Lever leads Grand Canyon past Grambling State in season opener
- GCU men’s basketball picked to finish 2nd in WAC by coaches
- GCU men’s basketball season postponed as WAC delays fall sports
- Legally Speaking: Dan Majerle has a case against GCU
- Statement: GCU ‘surprised’ to learn of fired coach Dan Majerle’s lawsuit