NAU falls just short to Idaho State for 1st loss of 2021
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Tarik Cool had 20 points as Idaho State came out of two weeks of quarantine to narrowly defeat Northern Arizona 73-69 on Thursday night.
The Bengals have been quarantined by the coronavirus since just before Christmas and held a one-point lead heading into the final 71 seconds against Northern Arizona.
Robert Ford made two free throws, Cool hit a jump shot, made a steal and was fouled and both free throws for a 69-62 lead with 26 seconds left. After NAU’s Nik Main buried a 3-pointer, Cool and Ford made four of six from the line to close it out.
Cool was 10 of 11 from the charity stripe. He added six rebounds. Ford had 17 points and six rebounds for Idaho State (5-5, 2-1 Big Sky Conference). Daxton Carr added 12 points.
Brayden Parker, whose 13 points per game coming into the matchup led the Bengals, shot 1 of 5 for three points.
Cameron Shelton had 24 points, six rebounds and six assists for the Lumberjacks (3-7, 2-2). Mains added 15 points. Ajang Aguek had seven rebounds.
- Arizona and Northern Arizona reach 10-year scheduling deal
- Northern Arizona falls at home to Montana State, 58-53, on Saturday
- Northern Arizona falls to Eastern Washington in Big Sky opener
- NAU basketball falls to UC Riverside in home opener
- NAU men’s basketball season opener vs. Arizona rescheduled to Dec. 7