GCU tops Utah Valley to win share of 1st regular-season WAC title
PHOENIX (AP) — For the first time in school history, the Grand Canyon Antelopes are regular-season co-champions of the WAC.
Alessandro Lever had 16 points to lead five Grand Canyon players in double figures as the ‘Lopes topped Utah Valley 74-64 on Saturday night.
Asbjorn Midtgaard added 15 points for the Antelopes (15-6, 9-3 WAC). Jovan Blacksher Jr. chipped in 14, Mikey Dixon and Gabe McGlothan each had 10. Midtgaard also had 11 rebounds.
Fardaws Aimaq had 14 points and nine rebounds for the Wolverines (11-10, 9-4). Jamison Overton added 13 points. Trey Woodbury had six assists.
The Antelopes leveled the season series against the Wolverines. Utah Valley defeated Grand Canyon 59-55 last Friday.
As the No. 1 seed in the WAC Tournament, GCU will get a bye to the semifinals in Las Vegas on Friday at 6 p.m. on ESPN+.
The ‘Lopes will play the winner of No. 4 seed California Baptist vs. No. 5 seed Seattle.
- Grand Canyon falls to Luka Garza, Iowa in NCAA Tournament debut
- Midtgaard carries GCU over Seattle to stay atop conference standings
- Grand Canyon falls to Cal Baptist for 1st WAC loss of season
- Asbjorn Midtgaard carries Grand Canyon MBB over Dixie State 81-46
- GCU believes basketball gets boost from WAC additions