Diamondbacks activate SP Merrill Kelly off injured list, option Mathisen
The Arizona Diamondbacks got one of their starting pitchers back in the fold on Friday, activating Merrill Kelly off the injured list.
In a corresponding move, Arizona optioned infielder Wyatt Mathisen to the Triple-A Reno Aces following Thursday night’s loss to the Miami Marlins.
While the D-backs did not disclose the reasoning behind the move, Kelly said Friday it was a coronavirus protocol issue.
Despite the IL stint, Kelly is slated to take the mound Saturday after making his last start on Sunday.
This season, Kelly is 2-2 with a 5.79 ERA and 1.469 WHIP over the course of six starts.
Instead of joining the minor league club, Mathisen will stay with the team as part of the taxi squad.
In 23 games this season, Mathisen is averaging .119 to go along with five hits, eight RBIs and three runs scored. He’s also been walked five times and tallied 21 strikeouts.
The D-backs look to end their three-game losing skid when they take on the New York Mets on Friday. Zac Gallen is on the bump for Arizona. He’ll face off against David Peterson.
Tune to ESPN 620 AM at 4:10 p.m. for all the action.
- D-backs lose yet another game and player in shellacking to Dodgers
- D-backs catcher Carson Kelly leaves game with fractured right wrist
- D-backs fall to the Dodgers on Friday, losing streak reaches 15 in a row
- D-backs select P Noe Ramirez from Triple-A Reno, DFA’d Mella
- D-backs P Zac Gallen roughed up vs. Giants in 1st start back from IL