Former Mercury star DeWanna Bonner leads Sun over Phoenix
Last season, DeWanna Bonner scored 32 points and 25 points in the two games against her former team.
She did it again on Sunday. Bonner scored 27 points against the Phoenix Mercury, leading the Connecticut Sun to the 86-78 win.
Bonner, who played her first nine WNBA seasons with Phoenix, made a 3-pointer with 2:27 left to give Connecticut (2-0) the lead for good at 76-73, sparking a 7-0 run.
The Mercury (1-1) cut it to three, but the Sun’s Briann January and Brionna Jones made baskets in the final minute.
Natisha Hiedeman added a career-high 17 points for Connecticut. January had 15 points and Jonquel Jones had 14 points and 13 rebounds.
Diana Taurasi had 19 points for the Mercury. Down 13 in the third quarter, Phoenix took the lead at 68-66 when Taurasi made the second of back-to-back 3-pointers with 5:54 left in the fourth quarter.
Skylar Diggins-Smith added 18 points and Brittney Griner had 16 for the Mercury.
- Mercury honor former president Rick Welts during Pride Night
- Brittney Griner puts up 19 points in Mercury loss to Dallas Wings
- Phoenix Mercury’s comeback falls short against Dallas Wings
- Skylar Diggins-Smith scores 28 as Mercury get 2nd straight win over Sky
- Mercury’s Kia Nurse hits buzzer-beater to defeat Chicago on road