Gambo, Suns redecorate after seeing Lakers flag near arena
Across the street from Phoenix Suns Arena, ABC15 journalist Adam Waltz saw a disturbing sight.
It was a Los Angeles Lakers flag hanging on an apartment window, just days before the two teams faced off for their first-round playoff series.
It’s the first Suns’ playoff appearance in 11 years, a series that comes against the same Lakers team that knocked them out of the postseason in the 2010 Western Conference Finals and started the drought, but the only flag on the complex was the Lakers? That couldn’t be the case.
The Suns decided to do something about it. On Saturday, the team posted a video to Twitter showing a pair of cheerleaders and 98.7 FM Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro getting into the apartment complex to hang up Suns flags outside the rooms surrounding that of the Lakers’ fan.
That’s much better.
The Valley is full of fans of the Lakers and other Los Angeles sports teams, and the Suns hope that Phoenix fans come out in full support. Games 1 and 2 will be hosted at Phoenix Suns Arena, as will Games 5 and 7, if the series extends that long.
Tipoff for the first game of the series is scheduled for Sunday at 12:30 p.m. It will be aired on ABC and 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station.
- Energy of Phoenix Suns fans is the best story of the NBA postseason
- A look back at the Phoenix Suns’ 4-game playoff sweeps in team history
- Devin Booker would like a word with the ‘Suns in 4’ guy
- Michael Malone: Chris Paul could be greatest point guard of all time
- Sportsbook BetMGM, 538 predictions like the Suns’ NBA title odds