The Arizona Cardinals are just two days away from their final preseason game against the Denver Broncos, and still no decision has been made by head coach Ken Whisenhunt on whom the starting quarterback will be for the 2012 season.
Possibly complicating matters is the fact that Whisenhunt has also stated neither Kevin Kolb nor John Skelton will see any playing time Thursday against the Broncos. Instead we’ll see a steady diet of rookie Ryan Lindley and veteran journeyman Rich Bartel calling the signals for the Cardinals.
ESPN NFL insider John Clayton appeared on Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio Tuesday morning and painted a pretty unflattering picture of what the Cardinals are facing at the QB position.
“What Whisenhunt has said is that he’s going to see how they practice…well, I mean is that going to be any different than what we’ve seen so far,” Clayton said. “I’m sure that he’d love to be able to go to the team and say we want to have Kevin Kolb as a starter, try to go a little bit more no-huddle, try to do some different things, but the situation is so bad.”
So how will things shake out, according to Clayton?
“I think it’ll still end up being John Skelton,” he said. “Kevin Kolb has really regressed as opposed to progressed, and even though Skelton hasn’t ‘wowed it’ or done anything great, he’s played a little bit better and I think he has a little bit more of the locker room than Kevin Kolb.”
There has been speculation by some that if Kolb fails to secure the starting spot, the Cardinals could explore waiving him. Clayton doesn’t think that will happen, for financial reasons.
“There’s just too much guaranteed in this year’s contract and also if you’re going to let a guy go and eat up some of that guaranteed money, you have to pay somebody too, and it doesn’t make good financial sense,” he said. “In the end, you just have to sit through this year and then make a move maybe after this season.”