It may not be New York, Los Angeles or Boston, but Phoenix’s history of playing home to some of the sporting world’s most distinguished and memorable athletes is rather notable. From one of the NBA’s greatest players and gregarious personalities in Charles Barkley, to one of the most-dominant left-handed pitchers of all-time in Randy Johnson, to the man who led the Arizona Cardinals to their first Super Bowl appearance in Kurt Warner, the Valley has boasted an impressive lineup of star-studded talent over the years.
Below is Cronkite News’ timeline featuring some of Phoenix’s best and brightest professional sports icons.
- USA Today: Cardinals not expected to contend for playoffs in 2018-19
- Arizona Cardinals rank No. 41 in Forbes’ 2018 most valuable franchises
- Keim’s absence comes as Cardinals talk complicated Johnson extension
- Cardinals suspend GM Steve Keim for five weeks after he pleads guilty to DUI
- A short wait: NCAA awards Phoenix its second Final Four