It may not be New York, Los Angeles or Boston, but Phoenix’s history of playing home to some of the sporting world’s most distinguished and memorable athletes is rather notable. From one of the NBA’s greatest players and gregarious personalities in Charles Barkley, to one of the most-dominant left-handed pitchers of all-time in Randy Johnson, to the man who led the Arizona Cardinals to their first Super Bowl appearance in Kurt Warner, the Valley has boasted an impressive lineup of star-studded talent over the years.
Below is Cronkite News’ timeline featuring some of Phoenix’s best and brightest professional sports icons.
- Report: Giants hiring former Cardinals DC James Bettcher for same position
- Cardinals staff turnover already taking shape under coach Steve Wilks
- Arizona Cardinals hire ‘a great leader’ in Steve Wilks
- Keim: Wilks’ defensive pedigree won’t deter development, success of QBs
- The 5: Biggest questions facing Cardinals coach Steve Wilks, answered