The AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches Poll were both released Monday and the University of Arizona basketball team made both lists.
In the AP Top 25, the Wildcats were ranked No. 12 and in the USA Today poll, the team was No. 10.
Arizona was ranked No. 2 in last season’s AP preseason poll and was No. 5 heading into the NCAA tournament where they made it to the Elite Eight before being eliminated by Wisconsin.
The Wildcats lost four of five starters from last year’s team and also lost potential starting guard Ray Smith, who injured his knee this offseason and will have to sit out his freshman season. He was considered one of Arizona’s best NBA prospects despite missing his senior season of high school.
The North Carolina Tar Heels were ranked No. 1 in the AP poll and the Kentucky Wildcats were No. 1 in USA Today. California (No. 14 in both polls) and Utah (No. 16 in both polls) were the other two Pac-12 schools receiving a preseason ranking.
- Arizona’s Allonzo Trier named to AP preseason All-America first team
- Arizona basketball ranked third in 2017 preseason AP Poll
- College football polls rank Arizona football in top 25
- Two Arizona Wildcats make ESPN’s preseason All-America teams
- On heels of NCAA kickback scandal, Arizona’s Miller to make first public appearance