The Arizona Diamondbacks have a hole to fill on their coaching staff now that third base coach Andy Green has left to become the manager of the San Diego Padres, and it appears they are looking toward a familiar face to find their man.
Williams was a member of the D-backs’ coaching staff from 2009 to 2013, spending his final three seasons with the club as its third base coach. Following the conclusion of the 2013 season he was hired to manage the Washington Nationals, where he guided the team to a 179-145 record over two seasons before being relieved of his duties on Oct. 5 of this year.
The D-backs are looking at Alston to replace Mel Stottlemyre, whom the team announced would not return in any capacity next season.
- Arizona sports teams, athletes offer Thanksgiving well wishes
- The 5: Things to be thankful for as an Arizona sports fan in 2017
- Diamondbacks add left-hander Jared Miller to 40-man roster
- D-backs, MLB teams release New Era 2018 spring training hats
- The 5: Most thrilling debut seasons in Valley sports history