The Arizona Diamondbacks have a hole to fill on their coaching staff now that third base coach Andy Green has left to become the manager of the San Diego Padres, and it appears they are looking toward a familiar face to find their man.
Williams was a member of the D-backs’ coaching staff from 2009 to 2013, spending his final three seasons with the club as its third base coach. Following the conclusion of the 2013 season he was hired to manage the Washington Nationals, where he guided the team to a 179-145 record over two seasons before being relieved of his duties on Oct. 5 of this year.
The D-backs are looking at Alston to replace Mel Stottlemyre, whom the team announced would not return in any capacity next season.
- D-backs RF Steven Souza Jr. receives good news, MRI shows pectoral strain
- Lovullo: Souza has right pectoral strain, likely to start season on DL
- Diamondbacks RHP Matt Koch optioned to Triple-A
- D-backs’ Souza exits Cactus League game after straining right shoulder
- Diamondbacks’ Zack Greinke: My groin is pretty good