In the second quarter of Arizona State’s game against Washington State Saturday, an inadvertent whistle served as both a game changer and kindling for Twitter mayhem.
Washington State ran the ball on fourth down and ended up short of the first down. Luckily for the Cougars, an inadvertent whistle let WSU repeat that fourth down. That set up an 11-yard pass from Luke Falk to Dom Williams to make the score 14-10.
“The turning point was when they let them replay fourth down,” head coach Todd Graham said at halftime. “That was the turning point.”
Graham added he was given no explanation from the refs.
Needless to say, the “fifth down” got conversations going on social media.
- Former ASU stars Plummer, Poole to make Heisman tour appearance
- ASU’s Hurley: Forward Romello White will have ‘breakout’ year
- Sun Devils’ season hanging by thread with No. 24 Oregon on deck
- ASU football linebacker Koron Crump out indefinitely
- Fork Report: Arizona State’s comeback comes up short against Texas Tech