In the second quarter of Arizona State’s game against Washington State Saturday, an inadvertent whistle served as both a game changer and kindling for Twitter mayhem.
Washington State ran the ball on fourth down and ended up short of the first down. Luckily for the Cougars, an inadvertent whistle let WSU repeat that fourth down. That set up an 11-yard pass from Luke Falk to Dom Williams to make the score 14-10.
“The turning point was when they let them replay fourth down,” head coach Todd Graham said at halftime. “That was the turning point.”
Graham added he was given no explanation from the refs.
Needless to say, the “fifth down” got conversations going on social media.
- 2018: Already a record-breaking season for ASU thrower Ewen
- Arizona State basketball slips to No. 21 in AP Poll; UA jumps to 11th
- No. 16 Arizona State pulls away late, defeats struggling Cal
- Danny Gonzales: Sun Devil defense will play with its ‘hair on fire’
- In-state recruiting to heat up between Arizona, Arizona State