Newcomers showed well for first-year Sun Devil coach Bobby Hurley in Arizona State’s 102-34 exhibition win against Western New Mexico on Saturday.
Junior college transfer Obinna Oleka scored 18 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and blocked two shots, while Andre Spight (15 points), Tra Holder (13), Kodi Justice (12), Willie Atwood (12), Eric Jacobson (11) and Gerry Blakes (11) scored in double-figures.
Arizona State led Western New Mexico 54-8 by halftime and for the game held its opponent to 17 percent shooting.
Hurley used the game to get a good look at his three new junior college players: Oleka, Spights and Maurice O’Field, who added six points and 11 rebounds.
- The End of Guard U: ASU’s seniors go out with loss to Syracuse
- ASU’s crying tourney kid was more than an average Sun Devil fan
- Arizona State’s Courtney Ekmark ready to return to familiar March setting
- ASU unable to speed up Syracuse, eliminated from NCAA Tournament
- Scoreboard error shows ASU trailing by a lot in NCAA Tournament