FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Reginald Johnson scored a career-high 35 points and Hampton overcame a 22-point second-half deficit — scoring 54 points in the period — to beat Northern Arizona in double overtime 98-94 on Wednesday night.
Hampton made six free throws in the second overtime, while the Lumberjacks managed just Kris Yanku’s layup with 2 seconds left. The teams combined to shoot 1 of 10 in the frame.
The Lumberjacks led 42-26 at intermission. Corey Brown’s dunk 1:04 into the second pushed the lead over 20. Hampton chipped away though, and Brian Darden’s 3-pointer with 57 seconds in regulation forced overtime.
Northern Arizona went up by five in the first OT, but Darden hit a jumper, then his defensive rebound led to Johnson’s 3-pointer with 11 seconds left to prompt the second session.
Darden finished with 22 points for Hampton (3-3). Yanku led Northern Arizona (2-5) with 25 points and was perfect on 16 free-throw attempts.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Northern Arizona holds off Montana State in final moments
- Trier scores career-high 32, No. 3 Arizona opens with rout over NAU
- Montana snaps Northern Arizona’s 6-game win streak
- Northern Arizona leads Big Sky after 45-31 win over UC Davis
- NAU’s ‘real Lumberjacks’ find thrill in logging sports competition