Did a 2 min hit on AZ 3rd round pick David Johnson and his impact with Chris Johnson out …check it out !https://t.co/sBvyEuRXVu
— Mike Mayock (@MikeMayock) December 10, 2015
Cardinals rookie David Johnson got his first big dose of carries against the St. Louis Rams this past weekend, and he impressed more than those who follow Arizona on a regular basis.
NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock broke down film of the Cards running back after his 22-carry, 99-yard performance on the ground in Arizona’s road win.
What stood out to Mayock is that Johnson also added two catches for 21 yards and a touchdown.
“The thing that struck me immediately is how he runs pass routes,” said Mayock, after watching game film of Johnson’s time at Northern Iowa. “Kid’s a natural catcher of the football.”
In the run game, Johnson also has natural instincts, making the right cuts behind a solid offensive line and blocking wide receivers like Larry Fitzgerald and John Brown. Mayock complimented Johnson’s pass protection against the blitz-happy Rams.
With former starting running back Chris Johnson currently on the IR and Andre Ellington working his way back from injury, the Cardinals may indeed lean on the rookie this Thursday against the Vikings and beyond.
“Understand this: You have a Super Bowl roster,” Mayock said, addressing Johnson. “Just do your job and you could be wearing a Super Bowl ring.”
- Jermaine Gresham out Sunday, Gabe Holmes called up from practice squad
- Dealing Cards: Counting on Kerwynn Williams in absence of Peterson
- Cardinals place Adrian Peterson on IR, claim C.J. Goodwin off waivers
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Baker, Bethea are full-speed and ready to go
- Week 15 NFL Injury Report: Arizona Cardinals at Washington Redskins