He may have hit the ice, but the National Hockey League thinks he played a pretty big part in it.
Arizona Coyotes center Martin Hanzal was fined $2,000 on Friday for diving in the team’s March 12 game against the Edmonton Oilers.
Hanzal sat two minutes for embellishment on the play, while the Oiler’s Leon Draisaitl enjoyed a two-minute spell in the box for hooking.
The fine came after Hanzal’s second diving citation this year. Another dive, this time while playing the Carolina Hurricanes, earned him a warning.
League policy says players will be given one warning before they are fined for embellishing.
Hanzal’s “donation” will go to the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Anthony Duclair has hat trick, Coyotes beat Senators in OT
- Coyotes’ Stepan hopes to step up production with more aggressive play
- The 5: Most thrilling debut seasons in Valley sports history
- Coyotes beat Montreal in nine-goal thriller for third win of season
- ‘Yotes GM John Chayka more worried about the process than the standings