He may have hit the ice, but the National Hockey League thinks he played a pretty big part in it.
Arizona Coyotes center Martin Hanzal was fined $2,000 on Friday for diving in the team’s March 12 game against the Edmonton Oilers.
Hanzal sat two minutes for embellishment on the play, while the Oiler’s Leon Draisaitl enjoyed a two-minute spell in the box for hooking.
The fine came after Hanzal’s second diving citation this year. Another dive, this time while playing the Carolina Hurricanes, earned him a warning.
League policy says players will be given one warning before they are fined for embellishing.
Hanzal’s “donation” will go to the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Arizona Coyotes to recall Dylan Strome; Jason Demers done for season
- Ekman-Larsson becomes 6th Swedish D-man to reach 100 goals
- Arizona Coyotes finish homestand with win over Mike Smith, Flames
- Coyotes honor former G Mike Smith with tribute video
- Coyotes announce coach Rick Tocchet will miss Monday game vs. Flames