He may have hit the ice, but the National Hockey League thinks he played a pretty big part in it.
Arizona Coyotes center Martin Hanzal was fined $2,000 on Friday for diving in the team’s March 12 game against the Edmonton Oilers.
Hanzal sat two minutes for embellishment on the play, while the Oiler’s Leon Draisaitl enjoyed a two-minute spell in the box for hooking.
The fine came after Hanzal’s second diving citation this year. Another dive, this time while playing the Carolina Hurricanes, earned him a warning.
League policy says players will be given one warning before they are fined for embellishing.
Hanzal’s “donation” will go to the Player’s Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Arizona Coyotes officially agree to terms with four players
- Coyotes use cap space to acquire Hinostroza, Hossa contract via ‘Hawks
- Coyotes acquire Hinostroza in multi-piece trade with Blackhawks
- Coyotes’ Ekman-Larsson donates $125K to Boys and Girls Club
- Coyotes sign first-round pick Barrett Hayton to three-year deal