MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Maya Moore had 27 points and a career-high 10 assists to help the defending WNBA champion Minnesota Lynx open the season with a 95-76 win over the Phoenix Mercury on Saturday night.
Seimone Augustus added 21 points on 10-of-15 shooting, Sylvia Fowles had 17 points and 14 rebounds for her 100th career double-double and Lindsay Whalen chipped in with 14.
Moore, Fowles, Augustus and Whalen made 33 of their 54 shots and the Lynx finished shooting 54 percent from the field.
Minnesota opened the season with the top ranking in the AP WNBA power poll, receiving 10 of the 14 first-place votes. Phoenix ranked second and garnered the other four votes for the top spot.
Diana Taurasi led the Mercury with 18 points in her return. She sat out last season. Penny Taylor scored 13, Brittney Griner added 12 and DeWanna Bonner 10.
- Phoenix Mercury’s Taurasi, Griner, Bonner earn 2018 All-Star nods
- Griner scores 36, Mercury snap 3-game skid in win over Fever
- Courtney Williams powers Connecticut Sun past Mercury
- Dallas Wings win with balanced attack over Phoenix Mercury
- Phoenix Mercury’s late rally not enough, fall to Atlanta Dream