Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach Jay Triano is set to join Earl Watson’s coaching staff as the Phoenix Suns’ associate head coach, reports Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski.
Triano has been on staff with the Blazers since 2012 under head coach Terry Stotts and coached Watson during his final NBA season as a player.
The Toronto Raptors head coach from 2008-11, the Tillsonburg, Ontario, native and former Simon Fraser player has served as Canada’s men’s national team head coach since 2012. Triano coached at his alma mater from 1988-95 before his first stint with the national team from 1998-2004.
He joined the Raptors as an assistant in 2002 before becoming the head coach in 2008.
Triano is the first offseason addition to Watson’s staff and joins assistant Nate Bjorkgren, the only holdover from Watson’s staff last season.
- Former Sun Eric Bledsoe giving Bucks new, exciting dimension
- Suns’ center rotation under spotlight with Monroe, Chandler and Len
- Triano: Suns’ Alex Len playing with desperation in contract year
- Suns’ improved ball movement leads to 32 assists, win over Bulls
- EOTS’ college tipoff NBA Draft Big Board, Part III: Doncic, bigs on top