Arizona Cardinals offensive tackle D.J. Humphries seems to like his team’s new defense.
“Pretty legit,” he called it.
Talking with Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday, the 2015 first-round selection spoke on the Cardinals’ defense, which now includes linebacker Chandler Jones after a trade with the Patriots.
“I go against those guys every day. We’re not even in pads and it’s like… that damn Chandler Jones,” he said. “That guy is going to be a problem.”
In four seasons with the Patriots, Jones amassed 36 sacks, 134 tackles and has forced 10 fumbles. Last year, the Pro Bowler was fifth in the NFL with 12.5 sacks. He was traded to the Cardinals in March for a 2nd-round pick and OG Jonathan Cooper.
“Between him, Markus (Golden), (Alex) Okafor… Markus is ridiculous,” Humphries continued. “I feel like if Markus was two inches taller, he would have been a first round pick.”
Golden, a second-round pick in 2015, had 20 tackles in 15 games, and his four sacks were the ninth-most among NFL rookies.
“I like Markus. Me and Markus’ relationship is kind of like how me and (former Florida teammate) Dante Fowler was,” Humphries said. “You can go hard every day. It doesn’t matter how hard I punch Markus, he’s not going to get mad, we’re working. Every day we’re working, and we pick each other up. … I love working with Markus.”
- David Johnson, Josh Rosen highlight ESPN’s NFL 2021 predictions
- USA Today: Cardinals not expected to contend for playoffs in 2018-19
- Arizona Cardinals rank No. 41 in Forbes’ 2018 most valuable franchises
- Keim’s absence comes as Cardinals talk complicated Johnson extension
- Cardinals suspend GM Steve Keim for five weeks after he pleads guilty to DUI