In another show of uniform originality, the Columbia Fireflies will don purple Prince-themed jerseys in honor of the late singer.
Columbia, South Carolina – the team’s home – was also home to Prince’s drummer, John Blackwell, according to an article written by USA Today’s Ted Berg. After a show there in 2011, Prince made a $250,000 donation to a Columbia-based charity, establishing a connection that now carries through to ruffled-shirt-inspired uniforms.
— MiLB.com (@MiLB) May 26, 2016
The jerseys will be worn on “Purple Game, Purple Game” night, an evening in which fans driving little red Corvettes will receive free parking. Fans born in 1999 will receive a free purple glow necklace, fans wearing purple shirts or raspberry berets may be featured on the kiss cam, and the winner of a ping pong tournament will win a Prince Greatest Hits CD.
Following the game, fans can enjoy a purple-themed fireworks display.
- Bills fan buys Sammy Watkins jersey moments before trade
- Potential new Phoenix Suns jersey reaches the internet
- ESPN: D-backs’ farm still shallow but gaining respect heading into 2017 MLB Draft
- Albuquerque Isotopes show off ‘Green Chile Cheeseburger’ jerseys
- Rob Gronkowski steals Tom Brady’s jersey at Fenway Park