PHOENIX (AP) — Diana Taurasi scored 21 of her 31 points in the first half, Penny Taylor reached 1,000 career assists and the Phoenix Mercury beat the San Antonio Stars 90-75 on Thursday night.
It was Taurasi’s league-leading 40th career 30-plus game and her second of the season. She made 13 straight free throws, which ranks first in the WNBA this season.
Taylor had three assists to become the 20th player in league history to reach the milestone. Candice Dupree chipped in 13 points for Phoenix (3-6), which is 10th in the AP power poll.
Taurasi was 6 for 10 from the field in the first half and hit all eight of her free throws. Phoenix led by six at halftime but started the third on a 12-3 run to extend its lead to 62-47.
Monique Currie had 19 points — 16 in the first half — and eight rebounds for 11th-ranked San Antonio (1-6), which has only one win in its last seven trips to Phoenix.
- Arizona teams collaborate on #AllAZ video amid coronavirus
- Suns to play at ‘Madhouse on McDowell’ if NBA season returns
- Diana Taurasi speaks, Booker and Nash attend Kobe Bryant memorial
- Phoenix Mercury sign C Kia Vaughn amid busy offseason
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade