PHOENIX (AP) — Diana Taurasi scored 31 points, DeWanna Bonner added 20 and the Phoenix Mercury made 13 of 14 free throws in the fourth quarter to overcome a 14-point deficit and beat the Chicago Sky 86-80 on Sunday night.
Sonja Petrovic scored 10 points, and Brittney Griner had nine points and 10 rebounds for Phoenix (4-6).
Taurasi hit two 3-pointers and Bonner made 4 of 4 free throws during a 12-2 that put the Mercury up 80-77 with 1:40 to play. After a three-point play by Cappie Pondexter tied it 11 seconds later, Phoenix made 6 of 6 foul shots — and Chicago went 0 for 4 from the field — down the stretch to seal it.
The Mercury, No. 10 in the AP WNBA Power Poll, trailed 50-36 after Courtney Vandersloot hit a 3 to open the second half, but Taurasi made four of her six 3-pointers and scored 14 points in the third quarter and Phoenix trailed 67-63 going into the fourth.
Elena Delle Donne led the fifth-ranked Sky (5-5) with 18 points. Pondexter scored 15 and Vandersloot finished with 11 points.
Phoenix made 29 of 34 free-throw attempts to overcome 24-of-68 (35.3 percent) shooting from the field.
- Arizona teams collaborate on #AllAZ video amid coronavirus
- Suns to play at ‘Madhouse on McDowell’ if NBA season returns
- Diana Taurasi speaks, Booker and Nash attend Kobe Bryant memorial
- Phoenix Mercury sign C Kia Vaughn amid busy offseason
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade