PHOENIX (AP) — Brittney Griner had 22 points, eight rebounds and five blocks, Sonja Petrovic made a go-ahead basket with 29.9 seconds left and the Phoenix Mercury beat the Washington Mystics 78-74 on Wednesday.
After Petrovic’s floater in the lane, Emma Meesseman missed a left-handed hook shot and Griner made two free throws. Washington’s Tayler Hill had an open 3-pointer rattle out with 7 seconds left.
Diana Taurasi added 18 points on 4-of-18 shooting for Phoenix (9-13), ninth in the AP power poll. DeWanna Bonner had 16 points, Mistie Bass scored 12 and Petrovic finished with four. Griner topped the 20-point mark for the fourth time this season.
Meesseman scored 22 points and Hill added 15 points for eighth-ranked Washington (9-12).
Meesseman hit a 3-pointer with 4:06 remaining and after two empty Phoenix possessions, Hill made a pull-up jumper to give Washington a 72-71 lead — its first since 30-28. But the Mystics only made one field goal in the final 3 minutes.
- Arizona teams collaborate on #AllAZ video amid coronavirus
- Suns to play at ‘Madhouse on McDowell’ if NBA season returns
- Diana Taurasi speaks, Booker and Nash attend Kobe Bryant memorial
- Phoenix Mercury sign C Kia Vaughn amid busy offseason
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade