At least in terms of how it will impact his next contract, Tyrann Mathieu says he wants to be seen not as a safety or cornerback, but instead as a top defensive player.
That’s all fine for the negotiating table, but in the video game world there is no such designation available. So, in the “Madden NFL” series, Mathieu is listed as a free safety.
And heading into the 2016 season, which will see “Madden 17” released, the Honey Badger is ranked as the No. 1 free safety — and safety, overall — in the game, with a rating of 96 (out of 100).
EA Sports, which produces the game, explained why Mathieu is ranked at the top.
Mathieu is one of the games fastest safeties. His 96 man coverage makes him far and away the best cover safety in the game. Look to match him up 1on1 against your opponents tight end.
Last season, Mathieu tallied 89 tackles along with five interceptions, 15 passes defensed and one QB sack. He posted 11 tackles for loss and was in the conversation to be the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year when he went down with a torn ACL in Week 15.
Over the weekend, it was revealed that Patrick Peterson was rated by “Madden 17” as the fourth-best cornerback in the league.
- David Johnson, Josh Rosen highlight ESPN’s NFL 2021 predictions
- USA Today: Cardinals not expected to contend for playoffs in 2018-19
- Arizona Cardinals rank No. 41 in Forbes’ 2018 most valuable franchises
- Keim’s absence comes as Cardinals talk complicated Johnson extension
- Cardinals suspend GM Steve Keim for five weeks after he pleads guilty to DUI