San Francisco Giants outfielder Hunter Pence found himself on the ground during his first at-bat on Tuesday.
Arizona Diamondbacks ace Zack Greinke sent a pitch high and a bit inside, causing Pence to fall out of the way and lose his batting helmet before giving the D-backs pitcher a look of annoyance.
In Greinke’s defense, maybe he was just trying to catch a peek at what Pence is best known for outside baseball — that flowing, curly hair atop his head.
On Twitter, MLB’s GIF account posted the above images of Pence’s hair bouncing elegantly as he got himself off the dirt. We saw something familiar but couldn’t pinpoint what exactly it was. And then in a response to MLB’s tweet, we had our answer.
We thank you, Zack Greinke, for leading us down this path of truth with a pitch that probably was not the best.
- ESPN: Yasmany Tomas has the D-backs’ worst contract
- ESPN’s Olney: Red Sox offered Martinez deal in range of $100 million
- D-backs avoid arbitration with 9 players including Ray, Lamb, Pollock
- D-backs reach agreement with Brad Boxberger, avoid arbitration
- D-backs agree to one-year deal with Corbin, avoid arbitration