San Francisco Giants outfielder Hunter Pence found himself on the ground during his first at-bat on Tuesday.
Arizona Diamondbacks ace Zack Greinke sent a pitch high and a bit inside, causing Pence to fall out of the way and lose his batting helmet before giving the D-backs pitcher a look of annoyance.
In Greinke’s defense, maybe he was just trying to catch a peek at what Pence is best known for outside baseball — that flowing, curly hair atop his head.
On Twitter, MLB’s GIF account posted the above images of Pence’s hair bouncing elegantly as he got himself off the dirt. We saw something familiar but couldn’t pinpoint what exactly it was. And then in a response to MLB’s tweet, we had our answer.
We thank you, Zack Greinke, for leading us down this path of truth with a pitch that probably was not the best.
- For the D-backs, Manny Machado to the Dodgers is no big deal
- D-backs post-All-Star notebook: Injuries and the starting rotation
- D-backs offering free kids tickets for this weekend’s series against Rockies
- By the Numbers: Paul Goldschmidt’s roller coaster season
- ESPN’s Olney: Rivals say D-backs ‘highly motivated’ to make trades