Shelby Miller will start for the Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday following his demotion to the minors, and the team optioned reliever Vicente Campos to Triple-A Reno to open a roster spot for the call-up.
Campos was acquired in the trade that sent veteran Tyler Clippard to the New York Yankees before the trade deadline and made just one appearance for Arizona.
A starter in the minor leagues, the 24-year-old right-hander played Saturday against the Cincinnati Reds in relief of starting pitcher Zack Godley, who had struggled by allowing nine earned runs in two innings.
Campos took the mound and pitched 5.2 frames in his MLB debut, allowing two unearned runs on two solo home runs. He closed with four strikeouts, two walks, four hits allowed and three runs scored against him.
Miller will return to the D-backs after recording a 5-1 record and 3.91 ERA since being demoted to Triple-A Reno. In the majors this season, he has posted a 2-9 record and 7.14 ERA.
- ESPN: Yasmany Tomas has the D-backs’ worst contract
- ESPN’s Olney: Red Sox offered Martinez deal in range of $100 million
- D-backs avoid arbitration with 9 players including Ray, Lamb, Pollock
- D-backs reach agreement with Brad Boxberger, avoid arbitration
- D-backs agree to one-year deal with Corbin, avoid arbitration