PHOENIX (AP) — Brittney Griner scored 21 points and Penny Taylor had eight in her final regular-season home game to help the Phoenix Mercury beat the Seattle Storm 86-62.
Taylor announced her retirement at the end of July. The Australian international was a three-time All-Star during 13 WNBA seasons, beginning her WNBA career with the Cleveland Rockers in 2001 and joining Phoenix in 2004.
The Mercury (15-18) clinched a playoff spot before tipoff with Washington’s 94-91 loss to Atlanta.
The Storm (15-18) fell into a tie with Mercury but retained their hold on the No. 7 seed due to winning the season series. Both teams conclude the season Sunday when Phoenix visits San Antonio, and Seattle hosts Chicago.
Phoenix led by as many as 17 in the first quarter and maintained a double-digit lead the rest of the way. Seattle trailed by 24 at the break and got no closer than 65-50 late in the third quarter.
- Phoenix Mercury waive 4 players to trim roster to 11
- Mercury, WNBA teams must cut rosters down to 12 by May 26
- AllAZ video call features Arizona sports coaches, players, celebrities
- WNBA mock draft: Coaches, GMs have Mercury pick G Crystal Dangerfield
- Brittney Griner-led Phoenix Suns fall to Jazz in NBA 2K20