Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
GLENDALE, Ariz. — The buzz of it being the first practice in pads had worn off, but Tuesday’s effort at Arizona Cardinals camp was not lacking for spirit and plays. Unfortunately for the offense, it seemed like the D got the better of this one.
– Center Lyle Sendlein, running back Andre Ellington and cornerback Antonio Cromartie didn’t practice due to various injuries. Sendlein’s calf injury is expected to keep him out three to four weeks, but the others’ ailments are not looked at as serious.
– It was not quarterback Carson Palmer’s best day, as he threw three interceptions. Deone Bucannon, Kenny Demens and Tony Jefferson all picked off the QB.
– Larry Fitzgerald dropped a pass. It was weird.
– Teddy Williams intercepted a pass for the second consecutive day, this time corralling a tipped ball that was thrown by Drew Stanton.
– Chandler Catanzaro, battling to supplant Jay Feely as the team’s kicker, made six of nine attempts. He hit from 33, 26 and 29-yards before missing from 41, 47 (off the right upright) and 48. He then rebounded to connect from 46, 47 and 33-yards out.
– Linebacker Larry Foote was one of the last players off the field, and he left to chants of, “Larry! Larry! Larry!” Of course, those were for Larry Fitzgerald, but that didn’t stop the veteran from joking with the media that the fans were calling his name before he even played a game for the team.
– Jaron Brown was the recipient of a nice long TD pass from Drew Stanton.
– After some issues snapping the ball Monday, it appeared Ted Larsen, playing center in place of Sendlein, was on the same page with his quarterbacks.
– Logan Thomas appears to be more comfortable on the field, throwing fewer errant passes. No one will ever question his arm strength or ability to put zip on the ball.
– John Brown was open a lot. Like, seriously, all the time.
– Some of the loudest applause of the day came after practice when Kurt Warner, in town with the NFL Network, threw passes to Fitzgerald.
Stat of the Day
Larry Fitzgerald led the Cardinals last season with 351 yards after the catch.
Quotes of the Day
“A little bit, but everybody out there, they’re great players,” Bucannon said. “It’s going to take a little bit more than four days for anybody — you’ve got to get out there and get adjusted. But it definitely is slowing down for me, but at the same time, I’ve got to stay in my playbook and I’ve got to study and keep on getting better.” – Rookie safety Deone Bucannon on if things can ‘slow down’ after just four days of camp
“No comment.” – Coach Bruce Arians on if John Abraham’s DUI is the reason for him not being in camp yet
“I don’t know, I can’t say there is a ceiling. Mike’s a young guy — it doesn’t seem like it because of his maturity. This his third year I believe. Just, I don’t know, that’s a good question. He can do just about everything because he is quick enough. He’s a big, physical guy, but he plays quick, he plays small as far as releases and getting off the ball. I’m not going to put a ceiling on him.” – Quarterback Carson Palmer on how good Michael Floyd can be