Report: Cardinals CB Ronald Zamort has torn ACL
Zamort, a second-year corner out of Western Michigan, shot up the depth chart in camp and in the past few days had found himself running with the first team after Justin Bethel, a favorite to land the second cornerback job opposite Patrick Peterson, hyper-extended his knee.
After being signed to a futures contract in January, Zamort had earned reps ahead of second-year defensive back and third-round pick Brandon Williams.
“Whatever you want to read into it. He’s playing with the first team instead of Brandon,” Arians said Saturday.
Zamort was a late cut in camp last year and re-joined the practice squad in December. In between, he’d been working as a youth counselor at a detention center while returning to school.
The injury puts the spotlight on Williams, who won the starting cornerback role to begin the regular season in 2016 before being benched.
- Dealing Cards: IR returns look unlikely, Gabbert reviews his NFL journey
- Week 12 injury report: Arizona Cardinals vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
- Calais Campbell: Decision to leave Cardinals has ‘worked out’
- Texans claim former Cardinals RB Andre Ellington off waivers
- Arians: John Brown not expected to play Sunday against Jacksonville