Report: Cardinals CB Ronald Zamort has torn ACL
Zamort, a second-year corner out of Western Michigan, shot up the depth chart in camp and in the past few days had found himself running with the first team after Justin Bethel, a favorite to land the second cornerback job opposite Patrick Peterson, hyper-extended his knee.
After being signed to a futures contract in January, Zamort had earned reps ahead of second-year defensive back and third-round pick Brandon Williams.
“Whatever you want to read into it. He’s playing with the first team instead of Brandon,” Arians said Saturday.
Zamort was a late cut in camp last year and re-joined the practice squad in December. In between, he’d been working as a youth counselor at a detention center while returning to school.
The injury puts the spotlight on Williams, who won the starting cornerback role to begin the regular season in 2016 before being benched.
- David Johnson, Josh Rosen highlight ESPN’s NFL 2021 predictions
- USA Today: Cardinals not expected to contend for playoffs in 2018-19
- Arizona Cardinals rank No. 41 in Forbes’ 2018 most valuable franchises
- Keim’s absence comes as Cardinals talk complicated Johnson extension
- Cardinals suspend GM Steve Keim for five weeks after he pleads guilty to DUI