Report: Cardinals CB Ronald Zamort has torn ACL
Zamort, a second-year corner out of Western Michigan, shot up the depth chart in camp and in the past few days had found himself running with the first team after Justin Bethel, a favorite to land the second cornerback job opposite Patrick Peterson, hyper-extended his knee.
After being signed to a futures contract in January, Zamort had earned reps ahead of second-year defensive back and third-round pick Brandon Williams.
“Whatever you want to read into it. He’s playing with the first team instead of Brandon,” Arians said Saturday.
Zamort was a late cut in camp last year and re-joined the practice squad in December. In between, he’d been working as a youth counselor at a detention center while returning to school.
The injury puts the spotlight on Williams, who won the starting cornerback role to begin the regular season in 2016 before being benched.
- Cardinals GM Steve Keim: Offensive line play ‘was unacceptable’
- How the NFC West Was Won — Week 3: Exciting win pushes Rams back to top
- It’s hard to believe the Cardinals’ problems are fixable
- Birdseed: Kicking, offensive line hurt Cardinals in loss to Cowboys
- Cardinals’ loss to Cowboys had quite the familiar feel