ASU walk-on surprised by Herm Edwards with scholarship
Arizona State football head coach Herm Edwards let defensive lineman Jordan Hoyt make an announcement after a team meeting.
While Hoyt had a few things to say to his team, he was speechless when it was revealed that was receiving a full scholarship to the school.
The walk-on followed Edwards, promoting a Bible study within the team that Hoyt felt would strengthen the bond between his teammates.
While Hoyt was still speaking, the projector behind him showed he had the scholarship. Teammates began clapping and cheering, and before Hoyt could even turn around and finish processing the message, he was mobbed by his teammates.
Hoyt embraced a few of his teammates and Edwards, still appearing to be in a state of disbelief.
Edwards said Monday on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s Bickley & Marotta that Hoyt’s tape popped immediately and he was a player Edwards felt deserved a scholarship.
“We just waited for the right moment,” he said.
“That was a fantastic moment and it’s gonna be a memory I never forget.”
A redshirt senior from Chandler, Hoyt transferred from UC Davis in 2016 and played in two games last season.
“That’s something we want to build here,” Edwards said. “If you’re good enough, you can earn a scholarship — I’m gonna give you one.”
- Arizona State Sun Devils still projected to play in Redbox Bowl
- Sun Devils’ Herm Edwards ‘wasn’t trying to tie’ vs. Oregon State
- Martin, House electric for Arizona State in win over Rider
- ASU fails to convert on late go-ahead 2-point try in loss to Oregon State
- Can ASU finally clinch a bowl or will the skid continue at Oregon State?