ASU walk-on surprised by Herm Edwards with scholarship
Arizona State football head coach Herm Edwards let defensive lineman Jordan Hoyt make an announcement after a team meeting.
While Hoyt had a few things to say to his team, he was speechless when it was revealed that was receiving a full scholarship to the school.
The walk-on followed Edwards, promoting a Bible study within the team that Hoyt felt would strengthen the bond between his teammates.
While Hoyt was still speaking, the projector behind him showed he had the scholarship. Teammates began clapping and cheering, and before Hoyt could even turn around and finish processing the message, he was mobbed by his teammates.
Hoyt embraced a few of his teammates and Edwards, still appearing to be in a state of disbelief.
Edwards said Monday on 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s Bickley & Marotta that Hoyt’s tape popped immediately and he was a player Edwards felt deserved a scholarship.
“We just waited for the right moment,” he said.
“That was a fantastic moment and it’s gonna be a memory I never forget.”
A redshirt senior from Chandler, Hoyt transferred from UC Davis in 2016 and played in two games last season.
“That’s something we want to build here,” Edwards said. “If you’re good enough, you can earn a scholarship — I’m gonna give you one.”
- ASU football’s offense enduring wealth of change entering spring
- Caliendo does Bill Walton impression alongside Walton during ASU game
- AP Poll Top 25: Arizona back in, ASU receives vote for 1st time this season
- Remy Martin catches fire late as Arizona State knocks off Cal
- Shine and dine: How do local sports leaders sell visitors on Arizona?