Ken Whisenhunt: Kevin Kolb proved his toughness, shouldn't have to
But some positive did come from his performance against the Rams. After enduring the kind of pounding he received from St. Louis' pass rush during the Cardinals' 14-point defeat, the sixth-year veteran proved he had plenty to offer in the toughness department-- an issue plenty questioned during his rough showing in the preseason.
"When you get hit as many times as [Kolb] did, he battled his tail off," head coach Ken Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf. "You respect that, and he certainly answered the question about his durability and being able to handle that."
Whisenhunt went on to say that Kolb's toughness -- which was publicly questioned by Raiders' defensive lineman Tommy Kelly following a Cardinals' win back in August -- was never an issue in the locker room and didn't need to be validated by the brutal punishment he faced in the team's worst offensive performance since 2004.
"I wish he never had to answer that question," said Whisenhunt. "Especially in the way that he did."
Kolb finished 28-for-50 with 289 passing yards and no interceptions, but his opportunities were few and far between in the second half due to poor pass protection and little threat from the run game.
"I sure hope not," said Whisenhunt in response to a question on whether Kolb's night in St. Louis was a good thing for him long-term. "I don't hope that it's ever a good thing that your quarterback gets beat up and has to go through that."
Next up for Kolb and Co. is a date with the Buffalo Bills Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Bills have given up 97 points over the last two weeks and are the first team since 1950 to give up 550 yards of total offense in consecutive games.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.