Updated Mar 13, 2013 - 5:54 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign CB Jerraud Powers
"He sat there and said 'You're not leaving this building without a red pen in your hand,'" Powers said at his introductory press conference Wednesday. "That's just the type of guy B.A. is.
"He's going try to do whatever it takes to make this team better and make the right decisions."
Powers admitted to feeling a little bad about never making it to San Diego, but said the Cardinals' offer was one he couldn't turn down because Arizona is a good fit for him.
And the Cardinals are certainly happy to have him.
"Jerraud turned our season around last year with an interception to open the second half at Green Bay and that's the kind of impact player he is," said Cardinals coach Bruce Arians in a press release. "He's a tough, physical defender who's also one of the smartest players I've been around. Here's how valuable he was to us: after we put him on IR at the end of last year (with a toe injury) we still brought him to every single game not only because of his leadership but especially the insight he brought watching from the coaches booth."
Powers had spent his entire four-year career with the Indianapolis Colts, where he has amassed 210 combined tackles and six interceptions.
In 2012 he tallied 40 tackles -- 33 of which were solo -- along with one interception and eight passes defensed.
At 5-foot-10 and 197 pounds, Powers is not the biggest of corners, but has good speed and a familiarity with new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, who impressed him last season in Indianapolis.
Powers said he feels like he's joining what is already a good defense that he said was much better than the team's record would indicate.
"I think this defense can be even better than it was last year, even though I know, in my opinion, I thought the defense was pretty darn good last year."
It was reported Wednesday that the team planned on meeting with Chargers cornerback Antoine Cason, and there's no word on whether or not the addition of Powers will change that.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.