Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 4:09 pm
Cardinals release QB John Skelton
Now he's been released.
The quarterback after three seasons with the team.
Skelton was named the starter coming out of training camp last season, but suffered an ankle injury in a Week 1 win over the Seattle Seahawks. His replacement, Kevin Kolb, went on to have success with the team, but an injury cut his season short and gave Skelton another shot at the job.
He didn't fare well, finishing the season with just two touchdown passes against nine interceptions.
Skelton tweeted about his release:
C'est la vie. Had some good times in AZ along with more than a few bad. On to the next endeavor.— John Skelton (@johnskelton19) April 1, 2013
Originally a fifth-round pick out of Fordham in 2010, Skelton started 17 games for the team. He compiled an 8-9 record while throwing for 3,707 yards, 15 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. He completed 53.2 percent of his passes.
The move leaves the Cardinals with Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Lindley all under contract, though it is being reported the team is close to a deal that would land quarterback Carson Palmer from the Oakland Raiders.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!