Updated Apr 1, 2013 - 4:09 pm
Cardinals release QB John Skelton
Now he's been released.
The quarterback after three seasons with the team.
Skelton was named the starter coming out of training camp last season, but suffered an ankle injury in a Week 1 win over the Seattle Seahawks. His replacement, Kevin Kolb, went on to have success with the team, but an injury cut his season short and gave Skelton another shot at the job.
He didn't fare well, finishing the season with just two touchdown passes against nine interceptions.
Skelton tweeted about his release:
C'est la vie. Had some good times in AZ along with more than a few bad. On to the next endeavor.— John Skelton (@johnskelton19) April 1, 2013
Originally a fifth-round pick out of Fordham in 2010, Skelton started 17 games for the team. He compiled an 8-9 record while throwing for 3,707 yards, 15 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. He completed 53.2 percent of his passes.
The move leaves the Cardinals with Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Lindley all under contract, though it is being reported the team is close to a deal that would land quarterback Carson Palmer from the Oakland Raiders.
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.